Monday, August 9, 2010

Back to School






Today was the first day of school. My oldest, Cole, began the eighth grade. Garrett, our middle son, started fifth grade AND a new school. Nolan, my baby boy, went to kindergarten today. Ouch... I did pretty well until I ran into my mom this morning as she dropped off my niece, Molly. My mom took one look at Nolan in his big boy clothes and his backpack and she started crying. Then I started crying. It took me two hours to get control of myself. The beginning of kindergarten is a symbol of a lot of things. The main one to me is that he is growing up. He isn't a baby anymore. And I wanted him to stay my little baby. That probably sounds really silly to some of you, but you might as well ripped my heart out today as I walked him into that school. He was all smiles and I was a weeping fool. I'm crying right now just thinking about it. It must be exhaustion that is making me overly emotional. Another thing... I take an annual photo of my boys and now my boys and girl on the first day of school in the same glider on my deck. It is amazing to see the changes they make physically in a year. I look forward to this photo all year long. Well, Cole decided to have his dad buzz all of his hair off in preparation for the hot football practices that loom ahead. Nolan came running down the stairs as I fed Mia and shouted, "You gotta come up here! All of Cole's hair is layin' in the floor cause Dad just shaved it all off!" I went upstairs and I was sickened at what I saw. My boy's beautiful hair was all gone and all that was left was his little bitty head and his great big ears. He's my pride and joy... everybody knows it, but I must tell you it isn't a good look for him. So, I wasn't as pumped as I normally am to get that photo made. Luckily, his hair grows quickly and I know it will be cooler for football. Sigh... Mia is staying with my mom and dad in the mornings while I work. She did great today and took a long nap, which we are all glad of. She's been famous for the old-fashioned "cat nap" and I am welcoming more sleepy time for her, so I can get some of my mama time back. Right now, mama-time is non-existent. You know the old saying, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger. I am currently testing this saying to see if it's true. If I go missing, please look for me under the rubble of laundry. :)

Much love,
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel girl! Dropping Chloe off at the high school almost killed me. And then there's Olivia starting Kindergarten the same time! I think if I had to send Addie off to the middle school this year I would have needed serious help. I love Cole's haircut... whatever keeps him cooler at practice! I'm ready for October!
    Christy Cardwell

    ReplyDelete