Saturday, April 24, 2010

I'm officially a mother to a teenager...




My baby, Cole Griffin Fairley, turned thirteen today. I honestly cannot believe how the years have flown by. I think back to that day thirteen years ago and remember the excitement and anticipation of finally having a baby. I have loved babies my whole life. And at last I was going to have one. Our families were ecstatic because he was the first grandchild on both sides of the family. I had to have an emergency C-section, so Griff got to be the one to present him to the crowd. When he got back to the recovery room I asked him what everybody thought of the most precious thing that had ever happened to me, and he said, "I don't know... everybody was crying so bad I didn't hear what they said." That pretty much sums it up. Cole Fairley is my pride and joy. I have a theory about the firstborns... there is a bond with that first one that can't be replicated with subsequent children. We love all our children, but we love them all differently. The first one is your practice baby... the one you try to keep from hurting, the one you have to learn with, the one you worry over the most, etc. By the time the other ones are born, you're starting to get it figured out. However, I don't think we ever get it figured out.

Cole has always been a sweet, sweet soul. Now, I can see him growing into a handsome, interesting young man. I cannot wait to see what God has planned for him. He is destined for great things, this I know. He's just too wonderful not to be. But I'm a little biased.

So, happy birthday to my precious boy. I'm sorry we had to cancel your party... but we'll get it rescheduled. You are my pride and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment