Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Article 5!

We received word that our Article 5 letters were picked up at the US Consulate in Guangzhou on Monday and were couriered to Beijing to the CCAA. This letter tells the CCAA that we have received approval from the US to grant Mia citizenship and that she will be issued a one-way travel visa to the US upon the finalization of her adoption in Guangzhou. Now, we begin the final wait. Our agency says that this wait is typically 3-4 weeks. It is our understanding that this step mainly consists of someone from CCAA contacting Mia's orphanage to check that she is still available for adoption (this is a formality) and then they issue the TA. This also alerts the orphanage that Mia will be leaving soon to join her new family. It's getting close now. We'll travel within two weeks once the travel approval is issued by the CCAA. This seems very surreal to me, as I have never truly believed this was going to happen. That sounds crazy, I know... but it is now becoming real to me and to Griff.

Everyone wants to know how the boys are reacting to all of this. My immediate answer is that they are excited, but the real answer is they have no idea what is about to happen to our family dynamic. Neither do we, for that matter. All we know is that it feels so good to know that we are coming into the "home stretch" and we will soon have a baby sister running around our home.

I know that our baby girl has no idea that her entire world is about to change in a few weeks. She knows nothing of the idea of a mother or a daddy, of undivided attention from a loved one, of eating whenever she wants to, of sleeping cuddled up beside another human being. This whole experience will be very traumatic for her and I am trying to prepare myself for the anxiety that is sure to come. My prayers are now centered around Mia and asking that God will help prepare her for this big change and that she will bond to us as her family, that she will love me as her mother, like children were intended to do. God did not intend for babies to be abandoned on street corners, or to live without the love of a family. I pray that she will adapt well and be healthy and happy in her new life with us. I hope that you will pray for this along with me.

I have lots to do to prepare for this trip. I've got to get in gear and make things happen... my mom's monogram machine is about to burst into flames... as there has been quite a lot of sewing going on to be sure that this little angel looks beautiful at all times. LOL... I've waited a long time to dress a little girl, so everyone just cut me a little slack... Ha, Ha...

Love you all for caring about us and our sweet Mia Li.

No comments:

Post a Comment