Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fifteen days...


That's how long it will be until Griff , my mom, and I board a plane headed to China for our baby girl. It is a feeling that I cannot describe in words... I just know that I am about to jump out of my skin I'm so excited. We booked our flights yesterday and we begin a long journey to Hong Kong on June 30. We haven't been given an in-country itinerary yet, but we are tentatively scheduled for a July 5 Gotcha Day. That means that Mia's days in the orphanage are definitely numbered. She has no idea that we are coming, that her whole life is about to change. For the first few days after she is given to us, she will not understand as she is so young. She will likely cry and grieve for her caregivers. This is a very hard time for the child and the adoptive families I am told, as we know that better things await her, but she doesn't know that. She just knows that she's been given to some strangers. Many say that by the time families leave China, roughly two weeks after Gotcha Day, that the child is beginning to warm up to the families. Bonding and attachment is a process that takes months, even years and we just have no idea how Mia will respond to all of us. We just know that we love her already, and we are just going to give this to God as we know He gives "beauty for ashes"... and that is so true. God never intended for us to be orphans- He sent Jesus to adopt us all into His kingdom. He also didn't intend for little ones to live without the love of a family. I continue to be humbled that God has allowed us this experience... this adoption process has strengthened our marriage, our family, and most importantly our faith. God has provided for every step of this process and many times throughout these last ten months I have wondered how I could go on waiting, where the finances would come from, how we could physically care for one more little one. He has taught me to trust and I am so very thankful. I don't know what lies ahead for us, but I know that God NEVER fails. What He calls us to, He will see us through.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Ashley, that just made my stomach hurt and my heart skip a beat....cant wait to hear alllll about it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley...praise God and congratulations! He is so faithful to complete what He began! We, too, are waiting for our little one from Shantou. I look forward to reading about your journey to get Mia. Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations with your beautiful daughter! One year ago my husband and I also travelled to Guangdong to receive our daughter Li Jia (Jade) from Shantou.God bless you. Greetings from the Netherlands, Karin (mother of 2 Chinese daughters and two sons from South Korea and South Africa)

    www.wereldgezin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete