Tuesday, July 13, 2010

More Shots, More Shoes, and The Guangzhou Zoo




So, I didn't get around to blogging yesterday... mainly because there wasn't much to tell. We went back to the Medical Bldg. on Shamian Island and got the rest of Mia's vaccinations. She did fine and then we went shopping afterwards before catching the bus back to the hotel. We were on a mission... more shoes. Remember I told you about the cute, cheap shoes? Well, we stocked up yesterday... I bought varying sizes for the next couple of years... 17 pair total. I am really excited about those shoes. We stopped by Starbucks and had another iced tea and bought a few more souvenirs, before heading back to the hotel. Griff and Mia napped during the afternoon, and mom and I ventured out to the Friendship Mall across the street. This is a very high-end mall... designer names, very expensive price tags. We went into the supermarket to try to buy some snacks, but we ended up buying nothing. I am searching for a tea pot that I saw at Chen's Lineage Hall the other day, so I stopped into a little tea shop. I didn't buy anything, as I need to talk with our guide about price. The Chinese know that Americans bargain, so they set their prices high and expect us to try to negotiate a cheaper price. I am so skeptical about buying without first checking with the guide. So, we will see if I get a teapot!!! LOL... This isn't a teapot that you see in the U.S., but very small that you use to make tea with loose tea, which is so very delicious. Today, our group went to the Guangzhou Zoo. It was a zoo... nothing to get really excited about. I think the heat pretty much put a huge damper on the "Wow" factor of this zoo. We made a few pictures, but mainly "Sweated to the oldies" as Richard Simmons would say. The funniest thing about the zoo is that the Chinese found the Americans as interesting as the animals. They stand and stare at us, some wave at us, one family even made Mia and my picture. Funny... They are very curious about us, they glare at us sometimes, some smile. Some jabber words, none of which we can understand. I felt like the animals on display at the zoo, because the people there found us so interesting. Part of it, is that they are curious about Mia... especially her hairbows. You cannot find hairbows like hers here... so they are VERY unusual. Mia has been playing with her toys more today and she smiles every so often. I've been teaching her a little sign language so that we can communicate and she signed bird with me today! Cute. She waves at people, especially Chinese people. She has very thick hair, so she sweats as bad as her mama in this humid air. Oh, and I almost forgot... she let my mom hold her today without going bananas! Yay!!! We are winding this trip down and are counting the days. This morning I just stood in the shower and cried my eyes out because I am so ready to leave here and go home. We are on Day 14... four more to go. Tomorrow is our Consulate Appointment. This is the time that the U.S. looks over all of Mia's paperwork, for the seemingly hundredth time, and issues her a Visa to enter the U.S. as a citizen. Now more than ever, do I realize what a gift U.S. citizenship really is... Just a few more days and we're coming home... Thank you, Lord Jesus... Until then...

Much love,
Ashley

8 comments:

  1. AWWW...hang in there..I know you are ready for your new normal to be underway...with all under one roof...praying the days FLY by!!! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart! Hang in there girl...when you think you can't bear it anymore...go buy some more shoes. And outfits.
    I know your mom was so proud. The picture of her and Mia made me SMILE!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks gorgeous in green. Sorry you had a rough day friend. This part of the journey will soon be over. Please post what time you will be arriving at the Bham airport on Sunday. Know that we are praying for all the Fairleys. We love you. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not long now... take a deep breath, maybe the four days will fly by... I hope so. I can only imagine how you long for being at home into a normal routine. I'll bet when you get home it won't take Mia long and she will be speaking english and playing with the boys! She is beautiful. I'm glad the poor girl has some shoes! You are so funny. I can't wait to meet Mia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. {HUG} I too remember crying in Guangzhou about the last few days and how LONG they seemed to be going. Soon you'll be back home and reunited with your boys. Keep relying on G*d and you will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy do I know how you feel! But...after you are home, you will be so thankful and it will all seem like a dream. Sometimes I think back to the time we were in China, which was just 4 months ago, and it seems like an eternity. Hang in there, you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I requested prayer for you guys a couple of Sundays ago. This past Sunday you wouldn't believe how many people asked me how you were doing and if you had made it home safely. Just know your being thought of more than you know! I do believe green is Mia's color!!

    Be Safe! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless your heart Ashley. I cried on the plane home between Chicago and Birmingham. We are still praying for you all and can't wait to see Miss Mia in person. She has a lot of Chinese "big sisters" here to show her the ropes.

    ReplyDelete