Saturday, July 10, 2010

Medical Exam and Big Improvements





We went to the Shamian Island this morning for Mia's medical examination. All Chinese children must have a complete physical before they are eligible to apply for a Visa to leave China and travel to their new home country. Mia weighed 17.5 pounds and was generally healthy. The doctor who did her exam called two different doctors to come in and look at Mia. They were speaking Chinese so I didn't know what they were saying, but our guide said that she was astonished that Mia's "special need" was a light birthmark on her temple. Mia has to get six vaccinations, so they suggested we let her take three today and three more on Monday to lessen the side effects to the vaccines. We agreed and she took her shots like a champ. She hardly cried... that is no lie. She has cried much, much worse when I sit her down on the floor beside me. This goes to show you that psychological pain is much more powerful at times than physical pain. That just spoke volumes to me. Mia sat in a highchair at breakfast, ate well, did great at the clinic, and actually rode in a stroller today on Shamian Island after her exam. See, your prayers, my prayers are being heard, they are being answered, and I am so thankful. We stopped by Starbuck's after the exam, and I had an iced tea. Can I just tell you it was so wonderful? It tasted like tea from home. Oh, so good. Ice... such a luxury. I will not ever take it for granted again. Why no ice here? Well, we can't drink the water here... we are brushing teeth with bottled water, not drinking ANYTHING that is iced. The water has parasites that are harmful to our systems and can result in a bad intestinal sickness. The local people here are immune, but not us. However, the ice at Starbucks is imported, so we can enjoy!!!! Yay!!!! Tomorrow, we will do pearl and jade shopping which I've been very excited about. Can't wait to show you all my purchases!!! Until then...

Much love,
Ashley

6 comments:

  1. Hey Guys,

    We have been keeping up with guys ever since you left. She is beautiful, I can't wait to meet her. I talked to Carolyn Thursday and Cole is coming up Sunday. We will have a great time while waiting on you guys to bring the little princess home! Tell Griff,I said to man up and drink the water!! LOL! I pray the blessings of the Lord over the Fairley family, may God have his hand upon you as ya'll travel home. May God bless everything ya'll lay your hands on and I pray this adoption will be a witness to other people and may they listen to the word of the Lord. We love you guys and thank you for the daily updates!

    With Love,

    Jerral Ingle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley- Mia is more beautiful every day! I know you guys are so in love with her! Enjoy the rest of your trip and get lots of Jade and Pearls! The Pearls are SO CHEAP!! I cam back with several pearl things, and TONS of squeaky shoes- I am so glad I got them!
    I am so glad she is adjusting so well and getting better every day- one day soon, you will look back on this, and it will be a distant memory!! So excited for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, thank you so much for taking the time to blog about your trip. I know you must be so tired, but I love reading about your adventures and I have told every one about the $3 shoes!!! But most of all I love seeing Mia! Tell your mom i said Hey!!! She's going to have to start a blog because I would love to hear her take on all this!

    Much Love from Bama,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ni-hao!!! Oh Ashley, she is precious and it will continue to get better! Hang in there....Not sure if you know about this...
    http://www.nickjr.com/ni-hao-kai-lan/
    This is a link to the new cartoon that is just like Dora but in CHINESE!!! Kailan :), She might enjoy this once she comes home!!! We are studying Chinese because when we go in DEC our son will be 8 yr old....The good thing is he was accepted to an international school in Beijing and will be living with an English speaking family from August until we come get him so hopefully he will be stronger in his English than us in Chinese :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have laughed and cried reading your posts! Not too much longer and you guys get to come home and be with your entire family! Hang in there! Can't wait to see what you guys are doing tomorrow! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have hung on your every word since you've been in China!! Can't wait to be there myself, and glad that it will probably be in Sept. Not a fan of HOT either.
    Mia is so beautiful, it is no wonder that she was extra-special in her orphanage. It sounds as though she is making strides each day, becoming closer to you and Griff. You just wait until she is surrounded by all those brothers...she'll be elated!
    I've got a lot of questions for you when you get back!! Can't wait to get my hands on some of those $3 shoes and Chinese outfits!!

    Big fan of the big bows-
    Gina Hayes

    ReplyDelete