Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day One... Getting to Know Guangzhou





We all slept well last night in our new hotel. We got up and phoned home, tried to Skype with my sister, and then went downstairs for breakfast. The breakfast buffet was good and the scenery was even better. The dining area overlooks a private garden complete with waterfall and fishpond, so we took a walk outside afterwards. Mom and I ventured out to Starbucks and Trustmart, which is similar to a grocery store. We just relaxed all afternoon and then went to a Lifeline meeting tonight to prepare for the big day tomorrow. There are four other families that will be meeting their children tomorrow with us. It is so very hard to believe that the waiting journey ends tomorrow and then the family one begins. I am terrified of what lies ahead of us, but I know that God has a plan and He will provide. Mom and I packed Mia's backpack for Gotcha Day tomorrow and we ate dinner at a Cantonese restaurant here in the hotel. It was good, but using chopsticks is difficult for country folks like us. Griff and I were the source of much entertainment for the local Chinese who watched us struggle to get food to our mouths... My mom went straight to the fork...:) So, today was a good day all in all. This is the last day Mia will spend in an orphanage and when she wakes up in the morning she will be placed in a car with her nanny to take a six-hour ride to meet her new parents. She will not understand what is happening and we have been prepared by all that she will cry, for how long we have no idea. But I am reassuring myself that while this will be very traumatic for Mia and is very sad to think of all she has ever known being taken away from her tomorrow, I can see what is ahead and I KNOW that what ahead is better than what she is leaving behind. Tomorrow is a very big day. I can think of only one song right now and that is the Casting Crowns song... "If We've Ever Needed You, Lord it's now..." and that really does sum up how I feel tonight. We leave our hotel tomorrow at 2 pm to take a fifteen minute ride to the Civil Affairs office to meet Mia. We will not stay there long, and then we will be taken to a store to buy diapers and formula before returning to the hotel. I'm posting some photos from the garden at the hotel as well as Mia's crib that is ready and waiting for her to sleep in. Please say prayers for us tomorrow as we so need them. Until then...

Much love,
Ashley

6 comments:

  1. The crib is beautiful! We are praying for Mia's transition into her family and for her little heart to be comforted and not afraid.

    Diapers and formula? Hadn't thought about those for our little guy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i was reading your comment about how Mia will feel on Gotcha day, and your wisdom of knowing how great things will be down the road for her, it reminded me of how God does the very same thing in our lives. So many times we are scared, do not understand, unsure, and upset in our lives but those moments of pain are God's way of bringing the very best that is to come!!! Congratulations on expanding your family with Mia!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley -- Jen and I are praying for you all. Hang in there. I know God will give you all you need to provide for Mia during this time. You are ministering to others that you don't even know about by your example. I am so proud for you and your family. I am looking forward to hearing about your "Gotcha" day.

    Chad Strawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Ashley. We watched Sarah Martin's little heart break for three days before she finally let us in. She quickly understood that she was safe, wanted and loved and it's been nothing but pure bliss since our time with her in China.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and anxious for you to get your hands on her:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We adopted our daughter Mia from Korea 38 yrs ago. She is now married with 2 beautiful children(my grandchildren) she is an asset to our lives.My husband passed away 4 yr. ago I am just so sorry he is not enjoying our grandchildren. . Our oldest son is now 56 and youngest sonis 53. She was like an only child. and loved so much. I am so proud of her she has a lot of great things in her life and she is a great thing in our lives. I could go on forever. By the way she was 8 months when we got her. I felt just like I had a brand new baby. I hope you enjoy your little Mia as much as we enjoyed ours and still do.

    ReplyDelete