Sunday, July 25, 2010

One Week at HOME






Well, we've been home one week today. I know you all have wondered why I haven't posted. I've done exactly what I said I wouldn't do, which is to leave all my blog-fans hanging. I underesimated the effect that jet-lag and a newly adopted child would have on my free time... giggle, giggle. My apologies, I will try to do a better job this week. Thanks for hanging in there with me while I get some much needed rest. It's been a week of small milestones, laughter, tears, and lots of visits and phone calls from people who love us. We have felt such an outpouring of love from so many and it is a wonderful feeling. Mia... she loves her brothers. Especially Cole, our oldest son. She allows him to hold her and carry her anywhere. She will also allow our other two boys to do the same, as well as my nephew, Will. Mia is still forming a relationship with her daddy, but I see definite progress. He holds her a little now without much protest, and he is still working hard to earn her favor. She is learning how to play with her toys and when she relaxes she actually enjoys it. She smiles a funny little grin for the camera and she blows kisses to most everyone she meets, which is so sweet. She giggles when we tickle her and she wakes up happy most of the time. Mia LOVES the swimming pool and she kicks those little legs and tries to stick her face in the water. She is still very watchful of where I am in the house and when new people come in, she clings to me for a long time, just to be sure that we don't hand her off, or at least that's what I think. The jet-lag has been hard and I can't say that I am back 100%, but we are feeling more normal again. Mia had a hard time sleeping through the night for the first few days, however, she has slept all night for the past two nights, so I think she is recovering too. We went shopping yesterday with my mom, sister, niece, and nephew. She seemed to like being in busy places. We went to church today and what a thrill that was. She is an answered prayer, one that can be visibly seen and touched and it was wonderful to be back in our church to worship a faithful God. Our church family loved meeting Mia and we all said prayers of thanks for all that God has done for us and for Mia. Garrett leaves for camp in the morning, and I wish he wasn't, but he begged to go, and for a little couch-potato that he is, I felt like I needed to grant his request. Nolan is beginning to show signs of jealousy, so I'm going to spend some individual time with him tomorrow after we get Garrett off. We are going to buy school supplies! He is really excited about going to big school. And I am sad, because it means he is growing up and I just want him to stay little. We had a visit from another China mommy today who will be leaving to go get her baby girl in a couple of months. It seems just like yesterday that I was impatiently waiting to leave for Mia. All in all, I think Mia is doing great. She is learning little by little that we are trustworthy and that we love her. She is getting to know our family, who all love her too and I have to think that must be reassuring, even though she knows nothing of the concept of family. At times throughout the week, I found myself worrying... "I'm too old for this... "Lord, are you sure this was your plan?" and the famous..."I'm a terrible mother...", all of which I believe originates from exhaustion and the lull that comes after such a long-awaited event. But I distinctly feel that each time I thought these things, God prompted me to think about the good... the lovely, the beauty that has come from this situation and then I feel encouraged that He will prosper this family. He will.. One week later, I'm more rested and she seems a little more at ease. We have a long way to go, but I am encouraged. What God has called us to, He will see us through. Well, gotta go... Mia has a stinky diaper... I think I'm too old for this...:)

Much love,
Ashley

4 comments:

  1. Oh Ashley....your blog makes me cry- with JOY! I am so excited for you and happy that Mia and your boys are adjusting so well...It gets so much easier to quickly- we are only a few months ahead of you in the process, but it already seems like forever ago that we were in China. You are blessed and so is Mia! AND....she is gorgeous! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia looks like she is settling in well!!! In our adoption church group here, we had a family come home with their 19 month old daughter July 5th. She too was having a hard time adjusting but things have gotten so much better!!! Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I am a friend of Stephanie Stripling's and she has shared your story with me!! We brought home our daughter, Ruthie Jun, from China in 2008 and had the same experience. I loved her immediately, but when we got home, pulled out the carseat/stroller/highchair I also thought, "what have we done",haha BUT it gets better and once YOU are broke in and adjusted (not so much you child :> ) it is absolutly wonderful. We just celebrated our 2nd year Gotcha Day with Miss Ruthie and I really cant remember her not being here and she has adjusted great. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, Where is your daughter from? I thought I saw her in a photo with a Shantou child.
    Linda Groat, BAAS
    lmgeag@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete