Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It's Official!




We all slept well last night. Mia slept in her crib and we learned that she is a thumb-sucker. She went to sleep rather easily, but I feel sure it was mostly due to a reaction to shock. She slept through the night and we got up and gave her a bath. We dressed and went downstairs for breakfast. She ate nothing, but watched everything. She will look at everything, without moving her head. She just cuts her eyes from side to side. Funny... We left the hotel after breakfast and went back to the Civil Affairs building where we had an adoption interview and took our adoption oath. We were asked... "Are you satisfied with the girl?" Do you still wish to adopt her? Do you promise to help her get an education? Do you promise not to abuse or abandon her"" Very satisfied, Absolutely, We promise, We promise. Afterwards, we went to another office and answered a few questions about why we wanted to adopt her. Griff responded, "Because we wanted a daughter." Well said, Daddy... Then, we got back on the bus and R, our guide, informed us that it was official... she is our daughter now. Mia has begun to attach to me, but will not allow Griff to hold her, nor my mom. She cries if I set her down and she pretty much wants me to hold her all the time. She took a good nap in the bed with Griff and me though. She is very sad, sad eyes, no happiness at all. Every once in a while, we see a glimpse of a smile, but no real joy at all. She is trying to process what has happened to her in the last 24 hours. I am told that the babies start doing better after the first three-four days. Right now, is a hard time. I am so sad for her, as I know she doesn't understand and I can't communicate with her. I am doing all that I intuitively know a mother should do right now, even though to her I am not her mother. I am praying that God will continue to nurture this relationship and help her to bond with us. She is beautiful baby and the orphanage told us that she is very smart and outgoing. We are really looking forward to seeing this side of her. Until tomorrow.

Much love,
Ashley

10 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley and Griff!! I loved reading everything on your blog. Everything is awesome!! We're so happy for your family!! We'll keep praying for you all and the bond that you're developing with Mia will get stronger each day!! We love you!

    Traci and Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Reading your blog is like re-living our trip! It WILL get better in a few days. I bet tomorrow she will start to show her personality more. Lily did the same thing and she is FINE now!! Just keep loving on her- she will get it! She is so gorgeous and I am so excited for you!! It's such a big day for such a small girl!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. I felt the same way when J came home. The sadness you describe hits home. For days he would just walk around and randomly cry at random things. Of course he is speech delayed, so the communication was non existent. Rest assured, in a few weeks you will smile at this memory....and when she utters "momma" for the first time... that is when the real tears will come. Tell Griff to hang in there. She will no doubt be "Daddy's Little Girl" in no time. I am so happy for you guys. Mia is finally HOME FOREVER.

    Tanika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the family sweet Mia! So glad to be a part of your life! Ashley, I know that joy will enter her heart with just spending time with you and the fam. love you all and are so happy for you!
    Love,
    Holly and Tadd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you! Mia is so cute! I will continue to pray for you. I can't wait to meet Mia. Read and Mia will have a good time playing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please keep us updated on her transition.Those eyes do tell so much don't they? How old is little Mia? I love checking up on you guys. Love the pictures.
    Love,
    Kathryn and Virgil

    ReplyDelete
  7. SHE'S GORGEOUS!!!!!! Just keep doing what you're doing... hold her, FEED her and sleep with her (even if it's just at nap time). I'll pray for her attachment as well. I bet she'll be laughing by day 3 or 4! ... and wait until she meets her brothers! She's gonna LOVE being the princess!!!!!!

    CONGRATS GUYS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and Ashley... let me just say I do believe they have gotten a better beautician at Shantou in the last 5 yrs! LOL Unless Mia was in foster care? I don't remember that part...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashley, I have to second Meredith's comment. It will get better. Just keep doing what you are doing. She's precious and the pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even know what to say after reading your post. She may be sad now but in the coming days Mia is going to learn what happiness is! She will bond with you and Griff and the boys! I will be praying for all of you...God will show you all what to do. Mia is about to see that she is a part of a loving family.....Love Dottie

    ReplyDelete