Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Red Dress






During the waiting months, I sewed and smocked outfits for Mia. It made me feel better about the whole thing, and kept me excited even through frustration. As I would complete something, Griff would say, "Yeah, that's good... but I can't wait to see her in a little red Chinese dress." So the other day, we were on Shamian Island and we bought the dress. I also bought dresses for Chinese New Year and Moon Festival for the next several years... afterall they were only about $5 a dress. That's crazy, isn't it? Anyways, we had group photos made this morning in the hotel lobby. As you will see from the photo, the majority of the children in our group are older. Mia is the youngest in our group. She is also the only one who had to get so many shots. Lucky us. We tried on her new dress last night and mom, Griff, and I giggled for the longest time. It was as if she knew she looked beautiful. And guess what? I had already purchased an enormous satin bow with a rhinestone center to wear with this special dress. :) I am the laughing stock of the group and every day when we get off the elevator everyone is waiting to see what she's got on top of her head today. Mia did not enjoy the photo session nearly as much today as she did last night. But we got some good shots anyhow. There is a little girl in our group that is a few months older named Ruthie. She is in the photo with Mia in the big chair. She is a doll. After the photos, we went back to our room and changed clothes. We went to a shopping mall where we bought pearls and other gifts. We bought Mia a strand of pearls for her wedding day, a pearl bracelet for graduation, and we also bought three pearl bracelets for Mia and me to give to her brothers' brides on their wedding days. I am already praying for the girls who will one day join our family... then Mia will finally get some sisters! I've bought some little items to give Mia for birthdays over the coming years. I've enjoyed getting to do this because I know I'll be glad I did this one day when we are home and far away from China. I have started googling how to make congee as I'm afraid this little girl is going to get hungry without it. Many of you have asked, Congee? Congee is much like porridge, very white and milky looking. It is often flavored with chicken, beef, or pork. The orphanages feed the babies lots of congee because it is easy to swallow and fast to feed. It rained today for the first time. It is so hot that eggs could fry on the concrete if we tried... Tomorrow we go BACK to Shamian and get the final three vaccinations. Mia has had a high fever from the shots she got Saturday, so I'm so thankful we didn't take all six at once. After we get our shots, we will do some more shopping. We are on the final week of this journey. It feels as if I've been away from home for a century. Again, I must tell you all how much your comments here and on facebook have meant to me. We are touched by how many people are interested in our story. Until tomorrow...

Much love,
Ashley

4 comments:

  1. much love...you are on the last half of the trip!! Hang in there!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not long til you get to see the boys again! I'll bet they are so excited to see little Mia! What will they do with a little sister? I can't wait to hear all about it. SHe looks beautiful in the red dress.
    Love you,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is adorable in the red dress. Love the matching hair bow. I have completely enjoyed following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, She is STUNNING in the red dress! You must have some portraits done with her wearing it! Right she was to think that she looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete