Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday in Guangzhou






Man, I'm on a roll here... I finally have enough internet connectivity to upload, so I'm going to get caught up!!! It is afternoon here on Friday and Griff and Mia are napping. We visited Five Rams Statue today and Sun Yat-sen's Memorial Hall today. It is unbelievably hot here. Alabama heat is very similar, but I do think it is hotter here. Your clothes just become soaked with sweat. Mia gets very irritable with the heat, so I think that may be part of her problems when we sight-see. Five Rams Statue was really pretty. It was much like a park, lots of it shady and many people gather there to enjoy it. They play a game much like what we call Hacky-Sack and others go there to do their "exercises". Several older women came up to us and patted Mia, smiling at us and giving us the thumbs up. M, our guide today, said that they are happy for the babies because they are getting adopted. They are appreciative to us for giving them families. The women were just lovely and you could sense their genuine admiration for us. I felt so good after meeting them. Hot, but good. :) After the park, we headed over to the Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall. This is a very old, beautiful building that is used for congregations, concerts, meetings, etc. It is lovely, but not air-conditioned, so this is where Mia began to totally unravel, and so did I. Again, our guide discouraged us from forcing Mia to ride in the stroller as her crying is very upsetting to the Chinese. So, again I carried her. The sling works well for a while,but then she begins to overheat and so do I. You know how fiery-tempered I am, and how much I despise to be hot, so you can imagine that this is the recipe for disaster. We went back to the bus and sat and waited on everyone in our group to come back. We came back to the hotel and gave Mia a quick, cool bath and I gave her a bottle and she was out like a light. Oh, I almost forgot... this morning, very early, she was sleeping between Griff and me... she sat straight up and began to speak words... Chinese. Griff poked me hard in the back to wake me, not knowing that I was awake and had heard her too. We giggled because we figure she was calling for help... "Come rescue me from these Americans!" Ha, ha. I can't wait to hear her talk again. Griff is in love with her and is working very hard to earn her favor. She is letting him hold her some, as I am giving out and can't physically keep it up. She is definitely coming around. We still think she is basically throwing temper tantrums, many induced by overheating and frustration that I won't hold her constantly. Our guide, M, talked to her for a little while today and told her that I was her mama and that I loved her very much and she laid her little head down on me so sweetly. M, said... "She knows you love her. She understands." It is so lovely watching M talk to her. I wish I could speak Chinese! I have learned one word... sounds like "My-Cow" which means "Stop crying." LOL... Tomorrow, we go for her Medical Examination. We have been warned that she may have to get as many as eight vaccinations... so many that they are allowing us to split them up, 4 tomorrow and 4 more on Monday. As part of the Hague Convention rules for international adoption, children being adopted to the US must be current on all vaccinations. The orphanages are unable to give as many as the US because it is so expensive here. This is why she must get so many. Please pray for Mia. This will be a very hard day for her. Again, your comments are wonderful and I love reading them. I am sorry that my posts are so sporadic. Internet connection is a nightmare. All in all, we are doing well. I can't wait to see Cole, Garrett, and Nolan. I miss them so, so much. I'm also looking forward to a home-cooked meal at my Grandmother's... LOL... Until tomorrow.

Much love,
Ashley

7 comments:

  1. Love the flower! Keep posting about the adventures! Stay cool! We are thinking about you 24/7!
    Love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Love getting on and reading about your daily Journeys. She is absolutely beautiful. She is going to be fine. Think about the progress she's already made. When you get home she won't be as restricted. I can't believe she wears those bows. LOL. We can't wait for you to get home. We will continue to pray. Love you all ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratualtions to you all! May God continue to guide you on this journey. Mia is a beautiful little girl. God will make her world make sense to her soon. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again,

    I shared this with other moms and thought it might be helpful to you. I read this book, Parenting the Internationally adopted child, by Patty Cogen. It is excellent and I highly recommend it.

    Make Mia a 3 photo story, with her at the SWI or foster family, with her getting handed to you, and then with you and your husband. Tell her the sequence "first you lived in China, with your (caretaker). Then I came to adopt you, now you live with me. I will take care of you forever", (You can say in English- she will start to understand you.) Make several copies of this page and let her do whatever she wants with them. she may tear up, draw on, sleep with, etc. Tell the story over and over, throughout the days, have her "tell" you if she wants.

    This allows the emotions to have words, reminds her of the sequence and seems to be very helpful. i have used it a lot with my daughter.

    The whole thing is hard, and being away from your other kids is so overwhelming.

    She may need more structure and less stimulation. Maybe keep visits to a minimum once you get home. Give her a chance to find her inner strength. She knows the enormity of what is happening and has mixed feelings. The photo story will help her, I think.

    If you want to say I love you it is Wo Ai Ni.

    I am your mama is Wo Shirnee de mama

    Love, Linda (BAAS)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley,
    I just love reading this blog...... You all are truly blessed. Mia is one lucky lil girl. She is absolutely beautiful! From the pictures that you have posted, you can so tell that she has made some progress. I know that you are tired and I am praying for all of ya'll. I pray that God will give you a strong body and that Griff will earn her favor very quickly. I also pray that Mia will get that safe and secure feeling that will help her to relax.
    Thanks for doing this blog.....makes my day!
    Meleia C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang it there girl...she will come around:) At least she has been loved all this time...that is a blessing! Soon you will look back on this time and it will feel like so long ago--praying for your strength, patience and endurance....that you will be well rested and she will make lots of progress and soon...love:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley -- Jen and I are both laughing right now. We are praying for you, yes, but we are laughing too. Mia has the same look in her eyes that CG had when she first came to us (and still does from time to time). The amount of time between these looks will get bigger and bigger as your days go by with her. I know the frustration of hearing your daughter speak and wishing with all your might that you could communicate with her. Just know your actions are speaking volumes of love to her that no amount of words from her native tongue could equal. You and Griff are making deposits into her "trust" fund that will pay off great dividends. We will keep praying for you, Griff, and Mia.

    ReplyDelete